P-day

P-day

Sunday, December 22, 2013

December 2, 2013 Happy Birthday to Cooper!

Hey family!

First of all I want to with Happy Birthday to Cooper!!!! I can’t believe he is going to be 13. Everyone is going to be so much bigger when I get home. Tell coop I love and miss him and to have a fantastic birthday. So when does everyone get off of school? What are the plans for Christmas? I am excited to talk to you guys.

We don’t really have any plans for Christmas yet. But a few people have invited us to have dinner with them. That is the big thing here, the 24th they have a huge dinner and then they sleep really late the 25th. And they just spend it with their family. One thing I am really excited for is they have little festivals in each neighborhood here and they have their friends over for dinner. Which we usually get invited to so we will eat really well this month! The dinner is always pazole or tamales with ponche. Pazole is a corn based chile type dish I don’t really know how to explain it but it is corn based and it have meat from pigs or chicken. And they put lots of spices and salsas in it and once it is served each person puts lettuce, onion and some other spices in and makes it how they like it, and you eat it with tostadas which are basically tortilla chips but it’s the whole tortilla it’s not in chip form. Tamales I think you guys know what they are, but they are a little different here, I particularly like the sweet ones, they make them in flavors of strawberry, pineapple, etc. And ponche is like apple cider but they put a ton of different fruits in and they fruit comes as part of the drink. So you drink it and they eat the boiled fruit, it’s a little odd but super good. 

Thanksgiving wasn’t anything special. I actually completely spaced that it was thanksgiving until about 630 when we got to one house and one of the sisters asked me about it. And I had to think a little and then said oh your right that is today. But it was really cool because she bought us little Caesar’s pizza and ice cream, so that was our Thanksgiving dinner ha ha I enjoyed it. She also invited a friend to the lesson and we started teaching her. So that was the best part, and the friend seems really excited. She didn’t go this week because the sister traveled and didn’t go either but I am really hoping they both go next week. 

Jorge didn’t go to church, I don’t really know what happened but he called us in the middle of it and he felt kind of bad and put an appointment in the afternoon, but then he wasn’t there for the appointment... His baptismal date fell. But I think he will get back on track and we will just move the date back a week.

We have transfers coming up this weekend, it will be interesting. I don’t think I will be moved, but maybe they will move my comp. Time went by really fast this transfer.

Well that’s about it for me. I just want to share my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I have been studying about the Book of Mormon a lot this week. I have understood why Joseph Smith said "it is the keystone to our religion" and "without it we have no religion". It is nearly impossible to become converted to Christ and have a testimony that this is the true church without reading and having a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I testify of the words of Joseph Smith when he said "a man will come closer to god by reading it and living by its principals than any other book over the face of the earth". It truly is a guide for our lives. It helps and comforts us in the most difficult times and inspires us in the best of times. 

I love and miss you all,
Elder Utley 


No comments:

Post a Comment