P-day

P-day

Friday, August 17, 2012

August 8, 2012


August 8, 2012

Hey Mom! Hey Dad!

So I feel like I addressed you letters pretty well in my email, that’s why I am writing you together - except dad’s question about personal study.  Personal study is awesome when I get to use it for personal study, but usually I nave to prepare lessons in Spanish or do assignments for class.  I think I will like it more when I get out in the field.

Anyway I wanted to share two of my favorite experiences here at the MTC. The first one was my first Sunday here. They gather everyone in the MTC into the gym for a devotional Sundays and Tuesdays. There are 2,900 missionaries here, so that is pretty cool being in a room with that many missionaries. To open the meeting we sang verses 1-3 of “How Firm a Foundation.”  Then there was a speaker from the 70, he did great but I don’t remember much of what he said.  The most powerful part of the meeting was the closing hymn; we sang “How Firm a Foundation” verses 4-7. I would encourage you to read verse 7, and imagine 3,000 missionaries singing it. When the 7th verse started the spirit hit so strong. Everyone just got louder and louder until we were almost screaming the last two lines. I have never felt like my testimony has been strengthened through a song until then. But those words are scripture and they hit me hard and I really meant them as I sang. It was pretty incredible.

The other experience was just as incredible, I know they both seem like small things but our testimonies can be strengthened daily through little things. So here it is, we were teaching our investigator Mateo last week. It was our 4th lesson and I was really struggling with saying anything. The funny part was in class I knew just as much as anyone in the district and I could speak as well as anyone. But when I got to the lessons I froze. Elder Cluff had been carrying me through lessons. I said a prayer in my head that I would be able to say what I wanted and needed to say. The rest of the lesson I carried Elder Cluff through. When he needed a word, I had it. When I wanted to say something I could say it, it still wasn’t’ easy. I had to say them in funny ways sometimes, but I could say it. Ever since then every lesson I have been able to say more and more. This was a great testimony of prayer for me. I know it wasn’t a big deal, but God cares about us and the little things in our life.

I love you guys, and hope you are doing well!
-John

No comments:

Post a Comment